Trentham Monkey Forest: For Better or Worse?

First of all I want to apologise for my lack of posts! I recently got a full-time job that now occupies my time and I have also been reluctant to post on here as I’m not happy with the look of my blog, but this is something I’m working on so bear with!

We all know my stance on zoos after my post in May. But sometimes there are blurred lines when it comes to what constitutes a zoo environment and what can be as somewhat of a sanctuary for the animals. A primary difference is, of course, money. But what is also important is the breed of animal, their natural habitat, the size of the enclosure and if they are actually helping the animals.

This takes me to my trip to Trentham Monkey Forest back in September. I should probably highlight that I didn’t pay to go as my boyfriend used to work these during his summers and so got free tickets. When he first got the job there I wasn’t best pleased, but I pride myself on not forcing my beliefs and opinions on others. I don’t think you should ever guilt trip anyone in to thinking the same as you, you can only educate but never discriminate. The Monkey Forest portrayed to me everything that I hated about zoos and so I never took him up on the offer to go around the place.


As my views on animals got stronger, I began to research into more and more things and the forest was one of them. I believe that you should always educate yourself on every aspect of something before making presumptions and this is something that I had failed to do prior to making my mind up on the forest. Upon reading I found that although how the animals had got there was a blur, the rehabilitation programme was comforting. They claim themselves that “over 600 Barbary macaques have already been successfully re-introduced into their natural habitat in the Atlas Mountain in Morocco”. This is something that zoos claim to do but provide no evidence on and in reality, it very rarely happens. The park only has one breed of monkey, the Barbary macaques and they are endangered. The fact that over 600 have been successfully moved back into their habitat is amazing, as well as 72 babies being born in the park.


Upon arrival at the park, the first thing that took me by surprise was the sheer size of the park – it was massive. With 60 acres of land and 140 monkeys, the ratio seemed perfect. Another thing that I didn’t expect was NO cages. Not one cage, not one box, nothing. There is an initial fence that the public enter through but that was it, and the trees tower over this. Therefore I think that the fence is primarily there to control the humans. Seeing the animals in what seemed a calm, relaxing environment was very reassuring to me. Also, due to the vast size of the forest, the public can only see about 15% of it as the rest is covered in trees and streams of water. This also made me happy as it meant that the animals weren’t trapped for us to see, they were free to roam wherever they wanted to, even if that meant me nearly tripping over them!


The picturesque park and the roaming animals were enough for me to feel that this park is not entirely a money-grabbing exhibition but rather somewhat of a sanctuary. For me, I would rather them be in their natural habitat in a mountain range in Morocco and be able to live their lives as they wish but with the Barbary macaques being endangered and this being a positive rehabilitation programme, I believe that this is a happy compromise in our current world.

Happy World Monkey Day!

What do you think to the grey areas? Have you ever been to the forest?

Thank you for reading, my lovelies,
Jade
X

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thank you for this. I too was concerned about the ethics bejind the park as I am strongly anti zoo.

    ReplyDelete