Cruelty Free Hair: How To Get Volume

It’s been a while since I last wrote a blog, and while I can only apologise I think this one is going to be the best one yet. Since I started to become more girly around the age of 15/16 I quickly became aware of how horrendously flat and thin my hair was. It just hung around my head and looked terrible. I’ve always been somewhat self-conscious of it and back-combing quickly became my best friend. However, when those throwback photos appear on my Facebook news feed, I see that that was not the look for me, why didn’t anyone tell me!? This was before my cruelty free days and so TRESemme was my sidekick and I would spend a fortune on it, easily £10-£15 a week. Since going cruelty free about 4-5 years ago, I happily replaced everything bit by bit, from make-up to household goods, and I of course replaced my hairspray also, but I struggled to find anything that held my hair with volume, lasted all day and smelt nice, as well as being affordable. It’s took me this long to find my perfect combination and technique, it was found half by accident and half (I’m sure) by fate. I scoured the internet for hours for some kind of support network with this problem and found no solution, so here I am to provide one for you.

As I said my hair is very, very flat and thin, always has been and sadly always will be. So here you have it, in all its natural glory, one day after wash day, flat and limp. (I'm not sure why I look so miserable, it's probably the hair)


Before


Here are the three loves of my life, and the first thing I use is Batiste Heavenly Volume Dry Shampoo Plus (Superdrug, £6.49). I found this beauty when my usual Batiste Cherry Dry Shampoo was sold out and I was dire need of some sort of saviour. It had some mixed reviews but I wasn’t in a position to be picky and so I went ahead and got some. I wouldn’t usually use this if I had just washed my hair, but for a big night out, it’s definitely the one to have. Just give it a quick spritz on your roots and a bit on your fringe, rub in with your fingers and then brush through until there is no residue visibly left. Instantly, you’ll feel how thicker your hair is. At first it may feel somewhat too thick as it is difficult to move around, and if this is the case, keep brushing it for longer.


My Three Loves


That’s the grease sorted out. Now onto my next love, Batiste Stylist XXX Plumping Powder (Superdrug, £3.99). Again, this was an impulse buy, it had amazing reviews and I was in a money splashing kind of mood. My first reaction to it was how incredibly light it was, I’m not sure what I expected, for powder to be as heavy as a brick? Who knows, but it was scarily light, I was sure it was empty. With this powder, put your head upside down so your hair falls over your face. Lightly pour the powder on the underneath of your hair, as well as under your hair on the sides. Scrunch your hair with your hands and again, you’ll instantly feel the change. After this, do very light backcombing but brush it out softly so it remains thick, but removes any stray hair or bunched up bits.

And here is where we have my ultimate find. On my many trawls through the internet to find just one brand of hairspray that wasn’t Superdrug’s own brand (I’m sorry, Superdrug, I love you but you need to up your hairspray game), I came across a brand named Fudge. I quickly discovered that it was quite pricey and you couldn’t find it on the high street and so forgot about it for a little while. Then, the best discovery of my life happened when I went to re-stock on my usual Superdrug hairspray to discover that they were selling the infamous Fudge Urban Iced Raspberry and Vanilla Hairspray at just under £3! It was quite the financial hike when you’re used to Superdrug’s prices but it smelt amazing. Once I’ve finished with my Batiste goodies I spritz the hairspray over once, leave for about 30 seconds and spray again so it firmly holds into place. It holds really well and keeps in the much-needed volume.


After


I don’t do this day to day because I just don’t have the time, but at the weekend and especially on nights out, this is my go to and I’m so glad to have found the routine for me at last.





Do you know of any great cruelty free hair styling brands that I don’t know about? If so, let me know in the comments!

Thank you for reading,
Jade

X

You May Also Like

0 comments